The Rittenhouse Orrery
Posted by Babak Ashrafi on 02/11 at 09:49 AM
The College of Philadelphia (now the University of Pennsylvania) and the College of New Jersey (now Princeton University) both wanted the orrery made by David Rittenhouse in 1770. So they each got one. Here are some letters about the kerfuffle. The orrery at Penn is on display in Van Pelt Library. The one at Princeton was lost after 1893, found in 1948, restored with electric motors and put back on display in 1954.
Thanks to Karen Reeds for the link.