Conference Support Competition 2011-2012
The application period for the 2011-2012 Conference Support Competition is now closed. Join our email list to receive the announcement of the next round.
The Philadelphia Area Center for History of Science holds an annual competition for conferences and workshops on the history of science, technology, and medicine. A panel of scholars will judge applications on intellectual merit and the likelihood of concrete outcomes such as publications. Additional preference will be given to proposals that can be significantly or entirely supported by the Center and that have the potential to enhance scholarly use of consortium members’ collections of rare books, manuscripts or artifacts. A typical meeting that would be appropriate for this competition would last not more than two days and involve not more than about fifteen speakers.
We encourage exploratory inquiries and requests for clarification.
The Center invites applications for conferences proposed to take place between September 2011 and June 2012. Applications must be submitted by August 19, 2011 and must include:
- a program with a list of invited and secured speakers;
- a description of the scholarly merit of the meeting (maximum 1000 words); and
- the principal organizer’s CV.
Selected conferences will receive:
- administrative support including online registration, secure online document distribution, a conference webpage and online advertising;
- use of meeting space at one of the Center’s consortium partners with meals and refreshments arranged as appropriate; and
- various forms of logistical assistance before and during the event.
No funds from this competition may be used for an honorarium. Funding from this competition will go primarily to logistics and arrangements. While the likelihood of outcomes such as publications would strengthen an application, we do not expect that it will be possible to extend support from this competition for publications.