The Center invites area scholars to join several topical working groups for challenging and collegial discussion of interesting publications in their fields and of each others’ works-in-progress. Please contact the conveners if you would like to participate in one or more of the groups.
Each of the groups meets one evening or afternoon each month at the Center. The regular meeting days are as follows, but be sure to check each group's individual schedule for changes.
|1st||History & Theory||Physical Sciences||Earth & Environmental Sciences|
|2nd||History & Philosophy of Science||Early Science||Science Beyond the West|
October 29, 2014
- (Note Special Day) Nasser Zakariya of CHF will introduce a draft book chapter, “Tales of Hawks and Hounds: Scientific Narratives of the SSC and NASA Origins”
November 4, 2014
- The group will discuss pp. 135-271 of Creative Evolution by Henri Bergson. Trans. Mitchell. NY: Dover, 1998 (reprint of 1911 edition).
November 12, 2014
- The group will read Daston and Galison’s Objectivity. Please obtain your own copy and read Chapter 2 for the 11/12 meeting.
November 13, 2014
- Bruce Moran of the University of Nevada, Reno will introduce his draft paper Preserving the Cutting Edge: Traveling Woodblocks, Material Networks, and Visualizing Plants in Early Modern Europe
November 14, 2014
November 19, 2014
- Whitney Laemmli of UPenn will introduce a draft dissertation chapter “‘Dance as the Measure of Man’: Alan Lomax, Choreometrics, and the History of Humankind (1965-1985)”
January 13, 2015
January 20, 2015
February 6, 2015