The Consortium invites area scholars to join several topical working groups for challenging and collegial discussion of interesting publications in their fields and of each others’ works-in-progress. Please contact the conveners if you would like to participate in one or more of the groups.
Each of the groups meets one evening or afternoon each month at the Consortium offices in Philadelphia. Scholars located anywhere can also participate online. The regular meeting days are as follows, but be sure to check each group's individual schedule for changes.
April 9, 2015
April 14, 2015
Lijing Jiang, Postdoc, Nanyang Technological University will introduce selections from Animals on Display (eds. Liv Emma Thorsen, Karen Rader, and Adam Dodd; Penn State University Press, 2013) with special guest participant Henry McGhie (Manchester Museum, UK).
April 15, 2015
- Erika Milam of Princeton University will introduce her draft chapter, “Death of the Killer Ape: the ‘New’ Politics of Humans as Animals”
April 17, 2015
- A discussion between two authors who have recently written books about pain: Keith Wailoo, the author of Pain: A Political History, and Joanna Bourke, the author of The Story of Pain: From Prayer to Painkillers. Keith will comment on Joanna’s book, Joanna on Keith’s, and then we will open the floor for questions from the seminar participants.
April 21, 2015
- Arwen Mohun of the University of Delaware will introduce her paper, “Constructing the History of Risk: STS and Beyond.”
April 24, 2015
- Note Special Date. Lisa Ruth Rand of the University of Pennsylvania, title TBA
May 5, 2015
- The group will discuss Peter Sloterdijk, The Art of Philosophy (Columbia University Press, 2012). Group members are asked to acquire a copy of this text independently.
May 6, 2015
- Vivien Hamilton, Harvey Mudd College TBA
May 13, 2015
September 11, 2015