The Center invites area scholars to join several topical working groups for challenging and collegial discussion of interesting publications in their fields and of each others’ works-in-progress. Each of the groups meets one evening each month at the Center. Please contact the conveners if you would like to participate in one or more of the groups.
December 5, 2013
- Selections from New Natures: Joining Environmental History with Science and Technology Studies, eds. Sara Pritchard, Dolly Jorgenson, Finn Arne Jorgenson, U of Pittsburgh Press, 2013.
December 10, 2013
- John Tresch of UPenn will introduce selections from Peter Gordon’s Continental Divide: Heidegger, Cassirer, Davos as well as Hans-Joerg Rheiberger’s, “Gaston Bachelard and the Notion of ‘Phenomenotechnique’”.
December 11, 2013
- Nabeel Hamid of UPenn will introduce William Wimsatt’s (1981) paper “Robustness, Reliability, and Overdetermination” and Thomas Nickles’ “Dynamic Robustness and Design in Nature and Artifact”, both from Characterizing the Robustness of Science: After the Practice Turn in Philosophy of Science, eds. Lena Soler, et. al., Springer 2012.
December 12, 2013
- Joel Klein of Indiana University will introduce his “Daniel Sennert and the Quest for a (Nearly) Universal Medicine”.
December 18, 2013
- Greg Eghigian of Penn State will introduce his “A Transatlantic Rumor: Secrets, Speculations, and Flying Saucers in Postwar Germany”
February 4, 2014
- Bridget Gurtler, Princeton UniversityTBA
February 5, 2014
- Alex Csiszar, Harvard University and Chemical Heritage Foundation TBA