Earth and Environmental Sciences
The Earth and Environmental Sciences Working Group explores the interactions between humans and their environments from a variety of different disciplinary perspectives in the humanities and social sciences. Meetings are held monthly to discuss a colleague’s work in progress or to discuss readings that are of particular interest to participants. Meetings are usually held at the Center from 6:00 to 7:30 on first Thursdays
If you would like to join this working group please contact or .
February 6, 2014
- Selections from Daniel Schneider’s Hybrid Nature: Sewage Treatment and the Contradictions of the Industrial Ecosystem.
- March 6, 2014
- April 3, 2014
- May 1, 2014
- December 5, 2013
- Rebecca Onion of PACHS introduced selections from New Natures: Joining Environmental History with Science and Technology Studies, eds. Sara Pritchard, Dolly Jorgenson, Finn Arne Jorgenson, U of Pittsburgh Press, 2013.
- November 7, 2013
- Paul Sabin of Yale University introduced selections from his The Bet: Paul Ehrlich, Julian Simon, and Our Gamble over Earth’s Future (Yale UP, 2013)
- October 3, 2013
- Jacob Hamblin of Oregon State introduced selections from his book Arming Mother Nature: The Birth of Catastrophic Environmentalism
- April 18, 2013
- L. Ruth Rand introduced her Orbital Decay: Space Junk and the Environmental History of a Global Commons, 1957-2009
- March 7, 2013
- Jody Roberts introduced his draft book chapter, Politics in a Bottle
- February 7, 2013
- Jeffery Brideau introduced his draft dissertation chapter, An Inland Seacoast? The Origins of the Seaway Idea and Construction of Bi-National Interest
- November 1, 2012
- Jeffery Brideau introduced the Introduction from Confluence: The Nature of Technology and the Remaking of the Rhône by Sara B. Pritchard.
- October 18, 2012 (note special day)
- Jody Roberts introduced the collection of essays The Future of Environmental History: Needs and Opportunities published by the Rachel Carson Center.
- January 18, 2012
- Building a Protective Web: CHESS and the Challenges of System Building in the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, 1969-1977 by Jongmin Lee of Virginia Tech.
- November 16, 2011
- Group discussion of A Landscape of Energy Abundance: Anthracite Coal Canals and the Roots of American Fossil Fuel Dependence, 1820-1860 by Christopher F. Jones
- October 19, 2011
- The Nose as Sanitary Agent: Scenting the Home by Melanie Kiechle, CHF
- May 18, 2011
- Jody Roberts will introduce Climate for Change, or How to Create a Green Modernity?
by Ulrich Beck Theory Culture Society 2010 27: 254
A New Climate for Society
by Sheila Jasanoff
Theory Culture Society 2010 27: 233
- April 20, 2011
- The Cosmopolitan Society and Its Enemies by Ulrich Beck
Theory Culture Society 2002 19: 17
Science for the Post-normal Age
by Silvio 0. Funtowicz and Jerome R. Ravetz
Futures, Volume 25, Issue 7, September 1993, Pages 739-755
- March 16, 2011
- Introduction to Hidden Waters: Groundwater Histories of Iran and the Mediterranean by Abigail Schade, Columbia University
- February 16, 2011
- Unruly Technology and Fractured Oversight by Jody Roberts, Chemical Heritage Foundation