Medicine and Health
The History of Medicine and Health Working Group meets monthly to discuss a colleague’s work in progress or to discuss readings that are of particular interest to participants. Meetings are usually held at the Center from 6:00 to 7:30 on first Tuesdays.
If you would like to join this working group please contact or .
February 4, 2014
- Bridget Gurtler, Princeton UniversityTBA
- March 4, 2014
- Margaret Marsh, Rutgers University and Wanda Ronner, University of Pennsylvania, TBA
- April 1, 2014
- Julia Mansfield, Stanford University and PACHS, TBA
- December, 2013
- Johanna Schoen of Rutgers University will introduce her paper “Constructing the Truth About Abortion: The Debate Surrounding intact D&E”
- November 5, 2013
- Meggie Crnic of the University of Pennsylvania introduced her “Nature’s Cure,”: The Seashore as Therapeutic Site, 1870-1930.
- October 1, 2013
- David Barnes of the University of Pennsylvania introduced his draft paper Cargo, “Infection,” and the Logic of Quarantine in the Nineteenth Century
- March 14, 2013
- Cheryl Logan introduced “Productive" Eugenics and the Double Gonad which is a chapter from her forthcoming book Hormones, Heredity and Race: Spectacular Failure in Interwar Vienna (Rutgers University Press).
- February, 14 2013
- Johanna Schoen introduced her draft chapter, Medicine at the Edges of Life: Abortion and Fetal Research
- December 13, 2012
- Emily Abel and Janet Golden introduced their paper “Modern Medical Science and the Divine Providence of God”: Rethinking The Place of Religion in Postwar United States Medical History.
- November 8, 2012
- Greg Eghigian of Penn State introduced a draft chapter, Civilizing Sexuality Under Socialism, from his book tentatively titled The Corrigible and the Incorrigible: Science, Medicine, and the Convict in Twentieth-Century Germany.
- October 11, 2012
- The Museum Factory: Charles H. Ward’s Anatomical Supply House by Erin Mcleary
- April 11, 2012
- Safe for Citizenship in the Motor City: Experiments in Seizure Containment at the White Special School, 1935-1956 by Rachel Elder, UPenn
- October 12, 2011
- Just a paradigm: evidence-based medicine in epistemological context by Miriam Solomon, Temple
- April 13, 2011
- Children at the Sea: The Seashore as Remedy for Urban Environments by Meggie Crnic, UPenn
- March 9, 2011
- A Startling New Chemotherapeutic Agent: Pediatrics, Infectious Disease and Baltimore’s Sydenham Hospital 1936-1949 by Cynthia Connolly (UPenn) and Janet Golden (Rutgers)