The Consortium invites area scholars to join several topical working groups for challenging and collegial discussion of interesting publications in their fields and of each others’ works-in-progress. Please contact the conveners if you would like to participate in one or more of the groups.
Each of the groups meets one evening or afternoon each month at the Consortium offices in Philadelphia. Scholars located anywhere can also participate online. The regular meeting days are as follows, but be sure to check each group's individual schedule for changes.
December 10, 2014
- Nabeel Hamid of UPenn will introduce chapter 3 of Daston and Galison’s Objectivity.
December 11, 2014
- Harun Küçük of UPenn will introduce his draft paper, “The Compass and the Astrolabe: Religion and Empirical Knowledge in the Early Modern Ottoman Empire.”
December 12, 2014
- Please note special time: 1:00-2:30 Harun Küçük of UPenn will introduce his draft paper, "New Medicine and the Ḥikmet-i Tabī˒yye Problematic in Eighteenth-Century Istanbul."
December 17, 2014
- Jason Oakes of UC-Davis will introduce his draft chapter, “The Road to Tragedy: Garrett Hardin, the Systems Approach, and the Political Economy of Population Science”
January 12, 2015
January 16, 2015
January 20, 2015
- Gabriel Hecht, University of Michigan TBA
February 3, 2015
February 4, 2015
February 6, 2015