The Center invites area scholars to join several topical working groups for challenging and collegial discussion of interesting publications in their fields and of each others’ works-in-progress. Please contact the conveners if you would like to participate in one or more of the groups.
Each of the groups meets one evening or afternoon each month at the Center. The regular meeting days are as follows, but be sure to check each group's individual schedule for changes.
December 2, 2014
- The group will discuss pp. 272-370 of Creative Evolution by Henri Bergson as well as Chapters 1-2, 5, and Conclusion to Deleuze’s Bergsonism (Zone Books, 1991) and Eli During’s essay, “‘A History of Problems’: Bergson and the French Epistemological Tradition”, Journal of the British Society for Phenomenology, v. 35, n. 1, January 2004.
December 3, 2014
- Carsten Reinhardt of CHF will introduce his draft, “The Dynamics of Nuclear Magnetic Resonance Spectroscopy in Biochemistry and Molecular Biology.”
December 10, 2014
- Nabeel Hamid of UPenn will introduce chapter 3 of Daston and Galison’s Objectivity.
December 11, 2014
- Harun Küçük of UPenn will introduce his draft paper, “The Compass and the Astrolabe: Religion and Empirical Knowledge in the Early Modern Ottoman Empire.”
December 12, 2014
December 17, 2014
- Jason Oakes, UC-Davis, TBA
January 12, 2015
January 16, 2015
January 20, 2015
February 6, 2015